Sunday, August 24, 2008

Some Thoughts

In case any of you guys really care, I have two football drafts today and in both I landed the top spot. Conceivably I could hedge my bets and go Tomlinson in one and Peterson in the other, but I am all about consistency so this year in fantasy I'm going to live and die by my least favorite player in the NFL, Ladanian Tomlinson.

If you are wondering the top 10 in the draft I am participating in now, as we speak, it's:


Tomlinson
Peterson
Westbrook
Brady
Steven Jackson
Marion Barber
Addai
Randy Moss
Not Grandmama LJ
Frank Gore

...and the top 10 in my evening draft

Tomlinson
Westbrook
Steven Jackson
Adrian Peterson
Tom Brady
Addai
Marshawn Lynch
Frank Gore
Marion Barber
Clinton Portis


Anyway, nothing more boring than hearing somebody else blab about their fantasy team, so here are some other thoughts.

1) Darius Miles is a Celtic. Huh. I'd put the odds of him making the team at about 50/50. The high end result for him could be a valuable and atheletic 3/4 and the first or second guy off the bench. Honestly though, it's a risk-free proposition bringing the guy in so why not. Plus, whenever you have the chance to pickup a guy who has acted in both Van Wilder AND The Perfect Score, you have to make that move.

2) Count me as officially worried about Josh Beckett. Both the Drew and Lowell injuries are huge too and nobody seems to be really sweating them. The more time Drew and Lowell miss, the more time Alex Cora and Coco Crisp see in the everyday lineup. I don't like that.

3) Jason Bay is quietly creeping towards equalling what Manny has done in LA. Not like people are moaning over the trade or anything, but after his flurry of action out of the box, Manny has cooled off - as has been MO all year with the streaks - while Bay has just kept on plugging along and producing. A .329 average with 4 HR, 18 RBI, and a .921 OPS works, right? Manny for the record, excluding Sunday's 0/3 is .381/6/21 with a 1.150 OPS. Still great, but the gap is not too substantial.

4) Jed Freakin' Lowrie baby. All the guy does is produce. Honestly, the fact that the Sox took two of three in Toronto seems somewhat surreal to me. Now, if they can manage to take two of three against the Yankees with Tim Wakefield, Paul Byrd, and Jon Lester scheduled to pitch, than color them golden. It will be an uphill climb though as they are matched up against Andy Pettite, Sidney Ponson (they best put up a ten spot on him), and Mike "I may somehow win 20 this year" Mussina. I never like when they are going against two of the Yankees best three starters with two of their worst although in fairness to Wakefield he has been incredibly solid this year.

5) I am spent. After plowing through two, online fantasy drafts today I am done with the computer. Until next time.

No comments: