Monday, July 7, 2008

You Cannot Hit The Ball If You Don't Swing The Bat

Building off Mike's post, just about everything having to do with the Red Sox grinds my gears right about now. But, here are just some finer observations and things I noticed over the last 8 games or so:

-First and Foremost, I am officially done with Manny Ramirez, and will now start to campaign for the Sox not to pick up his option for next season. Curt Schilling called him "the greatest hitter alive today" this morning. How can you be the greatest hitter, when you do not swing the bat at the ball? Last I checked you could not get a hit otherwise. Now, I know that he can hit, and before all you Manny lovers attack me, I acknowledge that he is a great player. But, he was in a rut for most of last season, finishing with subpar numbers for Manny Ramirez, and this year, even after the most active offseason he has ever had, according to his agent at least, his numbers are not that impressive. Then he punched Youk and beat up an old man. Now, he won't even swing at a cutter from Rivera. Does Rivera throw anything else? Come on. I cannot help but wonder if he did not swing because he was pouting that he had to pinch hit on his night off, boo-hoo. It's time to let him go.

-Why can't someone tell Joe Morgan that it's pronounced "Ellsbury" not Ellsworth? This is the third game in a row he has called him that. Is it that hard to read off of a computer screen?

-Do people realize that in order to trade Lugo, someone has to want the bum? I love all of these supposed "long time" Sox fans calling in with this just mind bottling trades for great players that have Lugo as the Sox centerpiece in the deal. Do they realize that other teams can watch the Sox too, and see his stats online? I would be willing to bet that there are people whose job it is to do just that? If I owned a team I would call that person a scout, or something like that...oh wait...

-Barry Bonds? Are you kidding? More on this later....

No comments: