Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Whew!!

I am really happy to right this, I have been waiting since the middle of November to write this, C.C. Sabathia is officially a Yankee. This thrills me, in the past when the Yankees have signed the top free agents I have been concerned of course, but this time I am relieved. I didn’t want him for the Red Sox and even though I may eventually eat my words on this one I am thrilled that he is a Yankee for the next 7 years. Here are some reasons why.

1. CC is 28 years old, he will be 35 by the time this deal is done and there is a good chance that by that point he will be roughly the size of the goodyear blimp. He is a big guy, there is no way around it, and he is a very good pitcher but there are plenty of examples of fat pitchers who eventually just lose there stuff. Unless he goes on some kind of crazy workout regiment like Clemens(without the various performance enhancers) he could be good for 2 or 3 seasons and then end up pulling a Carl Pavano while pulling in double the money.
2. Have you seen how many innings he has pitched. Even if his weight wasn’t a problem he throws an enormous amount of innings. In 2007 he threw 241, and in 2008 he threw 253. While this is abnormal for this day in age you could say that it was fine as long as it didn’t start to falter in the playoffs. In 2007 while with the Cleveland Indians he ended the year with a record of 19-7, an era of 3.21 and beat out our very own Josh Beckett for the Cy Young award. As we all know the Indians were in the postseason that year. As his teams ace he managed to go 1-2 with an 8.80 ERA. What good is a pitcher if at the most important time of the year he bombs? I won’t even discuss his postseason numbers from 2008 he lost the one game he pitched and pitched only 3.2 innings and gave up 5 ER.
3. Is he going to be able to handle the bright lights of New York(It is just as bad in Boston)? I dont think he is very well prepared, Milwaukee and Cleveland are not exactly the hotbeds of baseball that Boston and New York are. It’s gotten to a lot of players, Edgar Renteria, Roger Clemens(in NY), Chuck Knoblauch, Arod, and Julio Lugo to name a few. Is C. C. going to be able to keep his head on straight?

That is all I have for now and at some point I may regret every word. He may win 100 games over the next 7 years and win 5 world series titles, but something tells me that this is not going to work out the way he or the Yankees want to.

No comments: