Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Welcome to the Fukudome

Welcome to opening day number 2, 2 more to go and we can finally consider the season officially started. While most of you out there probably missed the opportunity to watch this game because the scheduling gods put the game on at 10, I was forced to be up anyway because I had to be at darts last night(We got smoked). I managed to watch the first 4 innings at the bar, listened to another in the car and I fell asleep on the couch after Jason Varitek got robbed of a homerun but still managed to drive in what would end up being the game winning runs. I have some notes for all of you about the first couple days of the season.

- Varitek got robbed last night the ball clearly bounced above the yellow line and should have been a homerun in the 6th inning last night. I however cannot fault the Umpires and I think Jerry Remy should give them a break. They only get to see it once in real time, meanwhile Remy got them to show it in slow motion and freeze the picture just as it landed. The Sox still won so its a moot point unless you have Tek in your fantasy league.

- I'm glad to see that Gagne still sucks even when he isn't wearing a Red Sox uniform. He managed to get the win but only because he blew the save when the great Fukudome went deep to tie the game in the 9th.

- Former Sox pitcher Tom Gordon got absolutely rocked on Monday he gave up 5 runs in the 9th inning in a tie game and the Phillies lost.

- The Yankees opened their final season at Yankee Stadium. I have been to Yankee Stadium and let me just say it is an awful place. If you sit in the upper deck you constantly feel like you are about to fall onto the field.

- Dice-K looked really good last night. The key to this season is for him to throw strikes. I know it sounds simple but it is true. He spent to much time last season trying to nibble on the edge, throw the strike and forget that crap. He allows the umpires to get to him to much and if he just stopped the crap it would be that much better.

Ok so the sox have a 3:35 start today so make sure you are tuned in or online like I will be until I get out of work at 4:30. Also 9 days till Ben and I squeeze ourselves in to the small seats at Fenway to watch the Sox and Yanks renew the rivalry. Depending on how Tito works the rotation, Bucholz could start if he stays five man or if he is looking for the 5 days then it will be Beckett.

No comments: