Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Few Tuesday Thoughts...

1) OK, kind of big news as it pertains to the Celtics on the periphery with Tyson Chandler getting traded to the Oklahoma City team for Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith. I've been very vocal about my desires to get Joe Smith on board here and now it looks like it definitively will not happen.

2) Speaking of the C's if you read between the lines of the Sam Cassell "trade" then it seems like they are clearing out a roster spot to acquire somebody else. Because they have no assets for trade, it seems all but certain that there is either a deal in the works for Starbury or PJ Brown. I guess there could be a wild card in there, but that is how I read it. Honestly, at this point the bench needs definite help and I'll take that help where ever it can come from.

3) This A-Rod stuff seriously needs to go away. It's example 1,284 of a story being completely pushed by the media. The way it's being covered you would think that that is all anybody is talking about in the world of sports, but I can tell you that beyond initial reactions the day the story broke I have not discussed it once with anybody. I just don't care and wish it would go away and furthermore I think that is how most people feel.

4) You want a fantasy baseball tip from me for this year? Here you go:

If you are drafting anywhere from 7 on and he is still available, draft Miguel Cabrera. In my opinion the only guys that should get drafted ahead of him are Hanley Ramirez, A-Rod, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols, and Grady Sizemore. Something tells me, Cabrera will drop as people become obsessed with guys like Ryan Braun, Josh Hamilton, or Mark Teixeira, but I promise you that if you draft Cabrera he will not let you down. Why? Because other than Manny Ramirez he is the only guy who enters just about every year as a legitimate threat to compete for a triple crown. Pujols could do it, but he has no protection in the St. Louis order and gets walked too much. Cabrera, despite havin Big Baby's conditioning habits is still turning just 26(!!!!) in April and is totally capable of a .335/.420/35/130 season with 110 runs scored. That's a beast season folks. Don't let it pass you by because you think Josh Hamilton will drive in almost 100 runs again before the All Star break. Go with the guy with the track record, even if that guy is a bit more Jessica Simpson than Fiona Apple.

No comments: