Sunday, February 15, 2009

Two Quick Sunday Night Thoughts

1) Soooooooo....JD Drew's back is still sore. Shocker. Once again, I ask why the Red Sox are going into the season seemingly banking on 150+ games from David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, and JD Drew. That is one third of their lineup fronting as major question marks for any more than 120+ games. Couple that with little to no contribution from the catcher spot and question marks at center and short and that leaves me to currently ponder the fact that right now I only count Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, and Jason Bay as guys who can reasonably be expected to perform on a consistent basis from April through October. Sorry, long sentence, but I think it was important
2) Wow, the three point contest sucked d*ck on Saturday night. I LOVE the three point contest. Call me a helpless white boy, but whatever. I got hooked back in the day when Larry Bird, Dale Ellis, and Craig Hodges would do their thing and I have been a sucker ever since. And that brings me to last night.

Can you please explain to me why Daquean Cook was even in a position to win? Watching him and Rashard Lewis heave bricks in the "finals" was enough to make me want to change the channel to a Desperate Housewives marathon. As one of the TNT guys said last night, where in the F were Ray Allen and Dirk Nowitzki. Yes, I think Eddie House would have been great too but I cannot complain about seeing Daquean Cook out there while calling for Eddie House without seeming a little hypocritical. After all, Cook could very well be Miami's version of House. I just would not care enough to know. Regardless, if you are holding a competition to showcase the best in the NBA at one very important and eloquent basketball skill (long range jump shooting) then the best and purest in the game should be represented every year regardless. To me that means take Dirk, Ray, and Peja Stojakovic every year until they retire and fill in the blanks later. Shoot, get Reggie Miller to shed his TNT suit and fire away for all I care. Just please don't make me watch a finals between Rashard Lewis and Daquean Cook ever, ever again.

Thanks and I am out. More from me after this enjoyable long weekend.

No comments: